Tuesday, August 18, 2009

URBNPOP Issue 1 - My entry into comics

My friend Chris Hamer recently rallied myself and a handful of our artist friends to write and draw comic stories based on characters that he created. The goal was to self-publish a minimum of 4 issues of a comic anthology, featuring work by our talented cronies, under his moniker URBNPOP. It was an exciting and lofty prospect as we all enjoyed the comic medium, but few of us had much actual experience doing this type of art. So we went to work, each artist putting their own stylistic spin on Chris's characters - and boy is there an eclectic mix of work! After a month of toiling on the book, and then another month at the printer, the first issue arrived today and I think we're all pretty proud of it. 

Here's a little more info about the book. The artists and writers involved in the project are: Chris Hamer, Craig Henderson, Andrew Bellury, Ryan Shuckhart, Eric Langley, Eric Peterson, Zano Ludgood, Nik Ceaser, Bobby Nash, Wayne Cordova and Ted Murphy. The book is 28 pages with full color cover and black and white guts.

Click the image to see it larger

So, this image is the intro to my section. I contributed a 3 page story that I wrote and drew, a character concept drawing of my lead, and did the majority of the layout for the book. I had a lot of fun with the story-telling process and ran with the opportunity to experiment beyond the bounds of traditional comic artistry. 

Right now I have a limited number of these books for sale. I'm putting some in my Etsy store, Enchanting Aberrations, under 2 price points: 5 bucks for the comic itself and 10 bucks for the comic customized with a personlized sketch and signature from me. If you live in the Atlanta area, you can forgo the Etsy part and shipping cost. Just let me know if you want one (customized or not) and we can meet up. I'll upload the cover and a few sample pages to Etsy for you to check out. I think they're gonna go quick though, so let me know soon. If you're interested, you'll want to get this first issue before it's gone, as many of the stories (including mine) begin here and will continue throughout the 4 issue series.

Thanks for your time and much love - Ryan


1 comment:

  1. I can't wait! Patron-pounding monsters sound like the perfect comic characters.

    ReplyDelete